Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Crumpling Up Paper

I have been interested in the Montessori Method for nearly two years. I remember reading a fantastic book, Montessori from the Start that simply engrossed me. I took notes, checked-out more books, and day dreamed about all the fun activities that I would do with my children.

On Monday, I gave Livy her first "lesson." These "lessons" are used to teach self-help skills, fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and practical life skills. I think that is what intrigues me the most, the practical skills. (I am constantly advising daycare parents that they need to teach their children self-help skills or practical life skills. Too many of them are determined to do every little thing for their child. I want Livy to be an independent, self confident learner!)

Our lesson for the week is called Crumpling Paper and that is exactly what we are doing, crumpling paper. Of course it is a little more complicated then that. Here is the Crumpling Paper lesson, perfect for a 15 to 18 month old.

Crumpling Up Paper


Indirect Aim: Fine motor development, hand-eye coordination
Direct Aim: Practical life activity (placing paper into a trash basket)

Materials: A shallow box or container with several pieces of paper, like wrapping paper or tissue paper, or paper from the recycling basket, like small paper bags, envelopes, or fliers/mailers; and a small trash basket.You may also want to use a small rug for this activity, as the paper can easily get scattered and the rug will give a visual boundary. A small hand towel is a great option.


Place your baby in front of you, put the trash basket to the far right of your baby, and the container of paper to the far left of your baby.

Take out one piece of paper and place it on the rug. Begin to crumple the paper with both hands until it is in the shape, roughly, of a ball.


Take the rolled up ball of paper and place it in the trash basket. For older babies 12 months and older who are walking (and won't sit still!) you can have the trash basket on the other side of the room, walk over to the basket, and place the ball of paper in it.

Say to the baby, "Your turn!" Help the baby take out a piece of paper to place on the rug. The baby may take her time exploring the paper, waving it, gumming it, or ripping it. You can then take your own piece of paper to roll in a ball. Or you can ask the baby, "Can I have a turn?" and begin to roll up his piece of paper, however, if your baby protests, take your own paper to roll up into a ball.


You may want to repeat this activity several times for younger babies before they can crumple up the paper, and they may just want to explore the paper on their own in their own way; whereas a baby who has been exploring and playing with paper for several months might enjoy seeing another activity they can do with paper, like roll it into a ball.

Extension: For an early walker who won't sit still for paper activities, drop pieces of paper from the recycling basket around the room, and help the baby pick them up and place them back in the basket. This is also a great "bending" exercise, the baby has to bend over or bend down to pick up the paper.


Language: After a few lessons, begin giving the language: "paper, trash basket, crumple, ball." When you are finished with your activity, place it in a nearby place for future play/lessons

6 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea! Recently, when I was researching educational philosophies, I was impressed by how much my views have shifted towards montessori thinking. I used to think, those teachers just let their classes run wild and didn't discipline their students. I found that I'd definitely misinterpreted the whole concept. Kudos to you for helping Livy learn new life skills! You're such a great Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet to think of them learning this so young, definitely a wonderful technique too. I can't wait to have a baby to teach! x M

    ReplyDelete
  3. This stuff is so simple - but I wouldn't think of it without someone pointing it out to me. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totaly disagree with the monterrori metod. I was working in a daycare who was learning that all the day to the kids: they had to take a little plate and made an activity like stick stamps or brush shoes... for me it's not the thing that kids are suppose to do... They can learn to be autonum with other technique like only put their shoes, it,s not important than they learn how to brush them when they are 2-3-or 4 years old! But it's my opinion! I think it can be good for a kid who don't have any concentration.. I saw one when he wasn't doing a montessori thing he was run all the time and jump anywhere so, for him it was a nice way to keep is attention!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I studied many theories during my educational psychology classes in college and this is one of my favorites. I then was lucky enough to work at a school that incorporated Montessori techniques and I even helped design a complete self-directed learning ciriculum for the next school year. I wish I could share all my stories of the students I taught and the amazing independance they had at such an early age. If you could've heard them present class projects in 6th grade without seeing them, you would've thought it was a college class.

    Of all my Montessori reading (and it was a lot in college especially), I can say there is only one part of their theory that I now disagree with... about weening babies from breastfeeding at 9 months. I only quit at 16 months because it was making this pregnancy even harder, but I would've gone longer to fulfill the World Health Organizations' advice of at least 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ABC-- I agree that is the one thing that I do not agree with, but everything else makes sense.

    ReplyDelete