Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Home Tour--part 2 The Kitchen

The continuation of our home tour. If you missed the first part, head here. The Living room and living room favorites.

Next on our tour is a stop in the kitchen. I spend most of my time here not necessarily because I am cooking but that is where the laptop is at.

This is as close to a "before" shot that I could find. Again, I was terrible at taking pictures the first few hours that we were in the house.

The cabinets were rather short compared to our rather tall ceilings. There was wallpaper in every room (including the ceilings--after we scrapped off the stupid popcorn/cottage cheese stuff!) I hated how the phone jack came right out of the side of the cabinet and the gold veined counter tops simply had to go!



The kitchen had the wallpaper, seen in the first photo on the top of the walls and brown panelling (common in our house) on the bottom. We tore off the wallpaper and the panelling only to reveal a faux tile linoleum on the walls. That took forever to scrape off.



You can see a little bit of the blue/grey carpeting in this photo. There was carpet in every room including the bathroom, yikes!


Once all of the cabinets were down, panelling down, faux tiles chiseled off, carpet out...this is what we had.


A lot of time passed by this point. Eduardo hung our new custom cabinets, tiled the floor, and hung new light fixtures. There was still much to be finished!



Appliances in place.

It took a while for our counter tops to be installed. So we used a piece of wood as a temporary fix. Although considering that there was no running water in the kitchen (no sink!) we couldn't really eat at home.

Our pantry was installed. Where the pantry is now, used to be a free standing gas range/oven. It stuck out about half way into the door way. My only thoughts were, what were they thinking?!


Moldings are starting to go up. The previous owners took out the original near 100 year old molding and opted for nothing. We had to install every piece of molding in the house.

Here is what it looks like now...

The doorway from the living room looking into the kitchen




Check back soon for some of my favorite things in the kitchen and for the rest of my home tour.

17 comments:

  1. Wow, what a difference. Your kitchen looks incredible. I cannot beleive you guys did all that work yourself, what a handy husband you must have. I love your new cabinets, they look incredible, and the tile floors. I would love to have tile, my pergo floors show everything.
    Can I just drive over and take a tour of your home :) I love older houses and all the charm and personality they have, but neither me or my hubby are handy enough to do the work that a lot of them take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure I could let you tour it, but then I wouldn't have a need to post about it. he he! I'm sure your home is beautiful! Perhaps you should do a photo tour of your house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that some classy overhaul. I just found your blog through nicole's. Great kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've helped replace kitchen floors and that was super hard work (I hear you about scraping up lineoleum, and it wasn't on the walls, too!!). I'm not sure I would have the fortitude to redo my entire house, but your house looks amazing now. I can't believe the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an incredible transformation! I love before and after pics! You have wonderful taste.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW~what a transformation! Your kitchen is beautiful and so is the entry looking into your kitchen!

    Have a great day!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow,
    That looks great!! I don't actually have toppers for tassels. I am not sure where to begin to look for them either. My pear one just happened to work out.
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is amazing. Love the change. Looks like it was a lot of work, but I'm sure you really love spending time in there now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey Nicol...thanks for stopping by...

    Girl...I feel your pain...re-modeling is fun, stressful,and yes...worth it (in the end)...We just re-modeled our kitchen and before we finished we bought this house you saw in my post to fix up and rent...the wallpaper is terrible..

    Our kitchen...well...it's almost done...my husband needs to grout the backsplash and I'll be posting pictures of it soon...come back and see...

    Thanks for visiting...I loved your blog and the home tour...so many of you are doing them that I feel like I'm going on a beautiful Parade of homes tour...love it! I'll be coming back...

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOw I didn't ralize how much work that you had to put into your house! It looks amazing now though...

    Hopefully someday we will have a house probably withing the next 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your cabinets! They look a lot like the maple cabinets we installed in our master bathroom (they're supposed to be kitchen cabinets.) Anyhow, beautiful!!

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow~amazing transformations! Thunderous applause coming from Phoenix. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tha's a beautiful kitchen remodel. I know the pain and frustration of a remodel. It is so stressful. You came through with flying colors, can't wait to see your part 1 post. I guess I'm reading the posts backwards!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great! I invite you to drop by my place and see my before and after's.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice and such a wonderfully vast difference! Congratulations on a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful kitchen redo! Thank you for coming by my party. Hope you'll stop by often.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow - what a big project. It turned out fantastic. Great job!

    Thanks for letting me drop by!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete