Friday, July 4, 2008

Patriotic Fun

One thing that I love about living where I do, is the small town feel without being in a small town. This past Saturday they had their annual Independence Day Parade. Yes, it was early but still fun.

This year's parade was considered to be a huge success because we had two floats and two marching bands plus several other entries including the Utah Jazz Bear. I get teary-eyed every year when I attend this parade. I can't explain why. Maybe it is the small town feel, a sense of community or the amount of candy that we collect to take home. That is one thing you don't see in big city parades.

We live right around the corner from the beginning of the parade with our church parking lot as the hub for the parade participants before they make their 2 or 3 mile walk to the park. We like to find a shady spot in front of an old house with a view of the very beginning of the parade.


Me, Livy, my mom, some lady, and my little sister Kachena.
Livy would stand out in the street watching the floats line up. The first parade entry was our Police Officers on their motorcycles. When they came by with the sirens blaring, Livy no longer thought that the parade was fun and cling to me for dear life. I personally enjoyed it.
Our city's float.
One of the entries.
Some of the Jazzercise ladies that I workout with. I was asked to be in the parade but working out for 2 to 3 miles in the summer heat did not sound like fun.

Happy Independence Day!

6 comments:

  1. I'm the same way. I get choked up! I LOVE the SSL parade. I don't know if it's because I know so many of the people in it, so it's got that small town feel...

    Either way, it's awesome. Great pictures!

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fun, it isn't a very long parade...no sitting and wondering if it will be over before you get heat stroke and the amount of goodies that one can gather...candy, frisbies, Jazz t-shirts, footballs, water bottles, still very fun. The only thing missing this year was the parade didn't start with the American Flag...what's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the police officers on motorcycles when I'm not their dispatchers! The SSL guys hold a special place in my heart all the time, though. They're pretty great guys. And I'm all for parades that aren't too long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you look more excited than Livy! Looks like fun. We missed the Magna parade unfortunately, Jack had a fever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Independence Day!
    kari & kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish our town had a parade...maybe we do and I just don't know about it. We're kinda small too. Hey you Jazzercise too?! Isn't it great. I can't wait to go back after the baby arrives!

    ReplyDelete