Sunday, December 19, 2010

Pet Vaccinations

Sam
Saturday was an extremely busy day for us.  It started out with an hour drive to Salt Lake to the local Humane Society.  That is where we usually take our pets for their vaccination shots because it costs so much less then most veterinarians.  The only problem with that is that the Humane Society told me at our last visit that I could not bring back our dog, Sam, unless I had him sedated.  You may recall my post on that most interesting visit.

Once at the Humane Society I needed to pick up the sedative pill for Sam.  I was asked how much he weighed and with a sigh told the receptionist between 40 and 50 pounds.  She looked at me with a questioning face and repeated what I said adding for a Cocker?  Well yes, my Cocker Spaniel weighs exactly 46 pounds, 11 pounds over weight.  Poor thing, for a dog he is considered obese.  But with his knee replacement, bad hip and collapsed trachea it is impossible for him to exercise.  When it snowed earlier in the month I threw a few snow balls around for him to chase which resulted in him coughing up phlegm for days.  Exercise is not something that we can do often with him.
Missi

I had expected the sedative pill to nearly knock him out and was a little nervous when it didn't.  Thankfully it mellowed him out.  There was no barking and no yelping when he received the shot.  In fact, he acted like a normal dog.  The thought crossed my mind that it might be nice to keep him drugged just so he can be a happier dog.

While at the Humane Society our two cats also received their vaccinations.  Nothing exciting from them except for the chorus of meowing from the back of the car for the two hours worth of driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment