Monday, December 6, 2010

Because I almost Said Goodbye

Being Vacuumed.  She wasn't afraid of anything.
I recently made the decision to give my cat, Dafny, to another family to love.  She has been with me for 11 years.

This decision was not taken lightly but do to several factors it was time to say goodbye.  By no means am I saying that Dafny was a bad cat.  In fact she is actually a wonderful cat who I am glad is going to a great home with several children to love her.

I remember when I adopted Dafny 11 years ago on October 9, 1999.  I went to the local Humane Society (animal shelter) to pick out a cat to be a playmate for our other cat.  I was determined to find a cat who had been there the longest.  I walked into the room where they keep the cats.  All of the cat were sitting quietly in their cages except for one.  I went up to this cat and thought, "okay, I'll take you out for a moment."  I took her out and she immediately started to lick my face.  I was in love and knew that she was meant to be mine.  I didn't even give the other cats a second thought.

Once I got home my mom thought otherwise.  Dafny was feisty but I knew that she needed a few weeks to adjust to her new home.   Since then she has been a "velcro" cat, always wanting to be held.  She particularly loves to lay across your shoulder like a shawl.  Odd, but she loved to be as close to you as possible.

Out of the three cats that we had, she was the smallest.  People who often thought that she was a fairly young cat.  Even though she was so small, she was the top cat and she never let the other cats forget it.  She was never afraid of our dog, although she hated it when she would get slimed (licked) by him.

She always found the sunniest spot to sleep or the warm heater vent to lay on.  And too often I'd find her hidden under my blankets fast asleep.

Dafny was one to tell you how it was.  If she didn't like something she'd tell you.  There was one occasion that I found her on a counter top in the kitchen which was strictly forbidden in our house.  I told her sharply to get down.  She looked at me and as she jumped down pretty much told me off.  But what was funny was the way she said it.  It sounded like she was telling me, "noooo, nooo, nooo, noo, no."

Unlike some cats who run away when strangers come over, Dafny is the first one to meet you at the door.  She would immediate be up on their lap asking to be petted.  And too often I would have to pull her down off of their shoulders.  It got to a point that if I knew people were coming, that all pets would be locked up.  More than once people would comment that she was one of the friendliest cats they even known.

So it's now a new chapter in her life and I wish her the best.  I really hope that her new home will love her as much as I have and even more.  A good cat deserves to be loved.

Note:  When it came down to it, I simply could not part with her.  I choked down tears as I called the family to tell them I simply couldn't let her go.  I'm happy that she is still mine!
Dafny cuddled up to Oscar.  For the longest time they could not be separated.



Dafny, Oscar and Missi

2 comments:

  1. This is such a cute story! But I have to ask: What was your reason that you wanted to give her away in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A small part was financial. It has become costly to keep up on litter and food for them. Plus I need to take them in to get shots this months. A small part was the hair and I have allergies. But both are things that I will deal with. I simply couldn't let her go.

    ReplyDelete