Sunday, December 6, 2009

On the Sixth Day of Christmas


Bake Gingerbread Cookies


Today has been a busy day with holiday activities. Not only did we bake yummy gingerbread cookies to be used for tomorrow's advent activity, but we also decorated the tree. (I'll post my holiday decorations later.)

Baking gingerbread cookies was a first for me and I'm surprised at how delicious they turned out. I've snatched several while they were cooling! I think I might make this a tradition and bake these every year!

Gingerbread Man Cookies

INGREDIENTS

  • 3 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter (room temperature, softened)
  • 1/2 cup dark-brown sugar, packed
  • 1 Tbsp ground ginger
  • 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
  • Optional raisins, chocolate chips, candy pieces, frosting
METHOD

1 In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and spices. Set aside.

2 In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Mix in eggs and molasses. Gradually add the flour mixture; combine on low speed. (You may need to work it with your hands to incorporate the last bit of flour.) Divide dough in thirds; wrap each third in plastic. Chill for at least 1 hour or overnight. Before rolling out, let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes. If after refrigerating the dough feels too soft to roll-out, work in a little more flour.

3 Heat oven to 350°. Place a dough third on a large piece of lightly floured parchment paper or wax paper. Using a rolling pin, roll dough 1/8 inch thick. (I did mine a little thicker. I measured them at 1/4 inch thick.) Refrigerate again for 5-10 minutes to make it easier to cut out the cookies. Use either a cookie cutter or place a stencil over the dough and use a knife to cut into desired shapes. Press raisins, chocolate chips, or candy pieces in the center of each cookie if desired for "buttons".

4 Transfer to ungreased baking sheets. Bake until crisp but not darkened, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Let sit a few minutes and then use a metal spatula to transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Decorate as desired.





For Day 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 activities

3 comments:

  1. Black pepper in a cookie... never heard of that. I'll have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you guys are having a fun December. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Nicole, I am Dalys from Panama Rep. of Panama, down USA in Central America just in the middle of the Continent. I love yr Advent Calendar, I have also done one for my babygirl who is turning 3 YO in early january, so we have girls in the same range of age. the activities created for you are excellent i love them all. Please Come and visit my blog at www.burundanguitas.blogspot.com and become a follower, so we can share activities for our girls. Also I love crafts and cooking. Hugs from PTY, Dalys

    ReplyDelete