Monday, February 6, 2012

Spanish School

Last week I went and looked at another charter school for Olivia.  We won't find out the results of her gifted test until May and won't know if she was accepted at that school (which is a 50/50 Spanish Immersion school- meaning they speak Spanish 50% of the time and English for 50%) until May.  Knowing that most schools have enrollment this month I decided to check out a few others.

The charter school that I looked at was not one I even wanted to consider.  The test scores are low and not located in the best area.  At the gifted test, one of the other moms told me that this charter school has changed principles and has shown improvement in the test scores.  I thought that I might as well check it out.

I felt fine driving to the school and the staff was very friendly while I filled out the application for the lottery (I've decided that I'm really not liking the idea of raffling off spots in a school).  I felt a little out of place; being very white in a school that was filled with Hispanics.  I felt less 'foreign' when Olivia started to tell the receptionist about her bisabuela in Venezuela.  This gave me a chance to ask questions about the school.

When I got home later that night  I thought more about this Spanish Immersion school.  Some things about it really attracted me like that this is a 90/10 school.  In grades K and 1 they speak Spanish 90% and English 10%.  I REALLY want Olivia to pick up more Spanish so she can speak to her Abuelos (grandparents).  Then in grade 2 it goes to a 80/20, grade 3 70/30, grade 4 60/40 and finally in grade 5 50/50.  Since total immersion is the best way to learn a foreign language this is the best route.

I also liked that Olivia would be around other Hispanics.  She is technically half Hispanic and I want her to learn about another culture besides the one that we live in.  We live in a dominate white area.

The test scores still worry me.  The scores are low because many of the children there are immigrants with Spanish being their native language.  The tests are administered in English so they don't do nearly as well.  I think that I could look pass this if I continue schooling Olivia (doing afterschool) at home.  She is already working on first grade work at home, I basically want her to learn the language.  Would you send your child to a school like this if you were in my situation?

I did ask that even though my Spanish is very small could I still come and volunteer in the classroom.  They encouraged me to come!  Is it wrong that I feel that possibly I could help these kids?

I haven't fully made up my mind yet.  There is a parent meeting at the end of the month which I will make Ed attend with me.  I have a feeling that the meeting might mostly be in Spanish and I need someone who understands the language.

Where is my magic ball that tells me which school is the absolute best option?

2 comments:

  1. To be fair, the test scores would be low because they are teaching in Spanish and probably testing in English. Check out the test scores for Escondido Elementary school in the Palo Alto school district in CA to compare. It's a very affluent area, but the Spanish immersion program at that particular school has historically pulled the test scores down.

    Poverty of course, will also make a huge difference in scores. So check out the free and reduced lunch % too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the scores are low because they teach in Spanish and test in English. There is also a large free and reduced lunch % there as well. I want the best for my child and I'm nearly to the point that if she doesn't get into the gifted Spanish Immersion program (great school, good scores, good area) then I may possibly homeschool for Kindergarten. I don't want her sitting bored and causing trouble in class.

    ReplyDelete