Monday, February 6, 2012

School: Week 3

January 30 to February 3

School went very well this week.  We kept on schedule and covered many things; although at times I feel like I am repeating myself everyday.  I don't want to move on from some things until they fully understood and other things like handwriting are repetitive in nature.

Writing:  Since we are still working on the same things, I thought I would show what I am doing.  With the Rusty and Rosy Learn with Me I have access to tons of worksheets.  I printed off all of the letter practice sheets and slipped them into page protectors.  Can I tell you how much I love page protectors and dry erase markers!!  This allows Olivia to practice her letters and numbers several times and I don't have to throw away the paper.  She does about 4 uppercase, 4 lowercase letters, 2 numbers and a few random sheets with her first name, last name, birthdate and my phone number each day.

Olivia writing in the letter practice book that I printed for her.  I have noticed a huge different in her handwriting since her started back in September!

Lucia naturally wants to sit down and do writing just like her big sister.

I have Lucy sit on my lap and I write on each letter while I am saying the letter.  She knows all of her letters and starting to work on the letter sounds.  Here she is trying to trace each letter.  She actually has good fine motor skills!

I also trace over her name several times while spelling it out.  She recognizes her name and gets very excited when she sees it in print.
Math:  We are still doing the website xtramath.org and seeing an improvement daily.  I made up some dry erase worksheets for her to do some basic math skills.  This week we started with the 3's which is proving to be a little harder than the previous numbers.  But she is understanding it and doing very well!




Social Studies:  Since we live in a very rural area, we usually drive through at least one if not 5 other small cities before we reach our destination.  Olivia loves to call out what city we currently in.  My problem has been that she refers to them as countries rather than cities.  So to help her tell the difference we made up this little project that I found on pintrest.

We talk about the earth which is very large and our continent is a smaller part of that earth.  From there we talk about how our country is a smaller part of the continent and so on until we are to our house.  Olivia really enjoyed putting this together.

This also opened up the discussion of continents.  I found some printable flashcards online to help her visualize this.  Since Olivia has been to 4 countries in her short 4 years, it was fun to point out where those countries would be on the continents.


2 comments:

  1. What are the links to the printable flashcards and Pinterest social studies activity? I'd love to do those with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just added the links to the post. Sorry, it took me a bit to find the pintrest one. I looked at it and went with it and never actually looked at the blog that it came from. I'll have to see if there is more information that could help.

    ReplyDelete