Monday, February 13, 2012

School: Week 4

February 6 to February 10

This week I think I got a better daily schedule down.  Schedules, I believe has been difficult; trying to figure out how to fit everything in that I want to teach (I could probably take up the ENTIRE day if Olivia permitted me to), giving my girls plenty of free time to play and explore, clean house and still find time for myself.

My daily outline is as follows:

Breakfast:  listen to primary music and do our morning message.  If I forget to do the morning message, I'm sure to hear about it from the 2 year old!

Schedules:  After breakfast is when we get cleaned up for the day, girls showered, beds made, curtains opened up etc.  I want them to build good life habits and this is the time to do it while they are still young.

Gospel study:  We read the scriptures, draw pictures or watch a video related to the story that we are learning about that week.  We've been staying on the same story all week.  For some thing might drive them crazy to repeat the same story, but I want to make sure that my girls know the stories before we move on.  Funny thing is that I've found that as I'm doing this, I frequently will find them acting the stories out.

Writing and Math:  I turn on an audiobook, we've been listening to The Magic Tree House books, and the girls write for 15 minutes or so then followed with a few math problems.  Olivia does 15 minutes of math instruction with Rusty and Rosy (Upstart) so I use this time to see where she is needing some extra help.

Spanish:  This past week I came across a new Spanish Instruction show that my girls have fondly named Spanish TV.  We watched the 1st episode multiple times this week.

Reading:  This is more or less spread through out the day where we do independent reading, guided reading and read alouds.

After lunch Lucy heads down for a nap and Olivia does her more formal studies with Upstart.

We're not doing 'school' all morning, but this has given me a guide to follow that has been working well.

In the afternoon I try to sneak in some memorization which has happened to work out great while Olivia is dancing around the kitchen.   A few days ago I told her that we needed to do some memorization and she headed right to the kitchen and started to dance.  Perhaps the movement helps her remember what she is memorizing.

I also sneak in piano practice and try to play an educational game with them while making dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment