Monday, February 20, 2012

Draw Write Now

This past week I received a much anticipated order in the mail.  I heard some good things about the Draw Write Now series (found new on eBay for $5) and thought it would be fun to change up Olivia's writing time.  Up to this point she writes out a page of 4 letters and 2 numbers a day.  I can tell that she is starting to get bored with it.  Practice with handwriting is important but I want her to also enjoy it.

Olivia was beyond excited to learn to draw a chicken today.  Okay, so you might be asking why drawing with a writing curriculum.  The thought is that as they draw, their fine motor skills will improve thus improving the letter formation.  There is a section for the child to write out with each drawing which in itself is great practice.

A view of Olivia's (age 4.5) first day at Draw Write Now.  

Easy examples of drawing which helps build fine motor skills. 

Sentences to write out with each drawing.  

I didn't want to order paper for this program so I found a great website with various writing papers that I could print from home.  They had a PERFECT one with a drawing space on top and four lines on the bottom for writing.

After we wrote the sentences, drew the hen and colored, Olivia immediately asked to do the next lesson.  I'm glad she is so excited about this writing program!

No comments:

Post a Comment