Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Reading

I truly hate admitting this but I am struggling find time to read to my children. We do many different educational activities throughout the day but by the days end I realize that we didn't sit down to read (guided or read alouds). 


Coming from someone who loves to read, this is horrible for me! 


I certainly get some reading in like we read the scriptures as a family every night and I read to the girls from the children's scripture reader during the day, I read poetry to Olivia at bedtime, we listen to an audiobook at least once a day, and Olivia does get reading instruction on Rusty & Rosy (which by the way she is reading!!).


But I feel that I need to have a time where I sit down and do a formal read aloud and guided reading with them.


I asked for some advice from friends to find out how they do it with their children and one said that she reads to them during breakfast and lunch.  This then sparked a memory of a blog post that I read once years ago when Olivia was a baby about how that mom read to her children over breakfast.  Something that I am going to try and hopefully my energetic girls respond well to.


Let me ask you, how do you fit in educational activities, house cleaning and all our other demands as parents and still find time to read with your children? 


My children's current obsession--listening to Magic Tree House!

No comments:

Post a Comment