Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Speech

Yesterday I had the opportunity to take Olivia to a speech pathologist.  I really do mean that it was an opportunity because I can't help but think of the people who don't have the means, knowledge or the desire to have their children assessed.

I've known for some time that Olivia has a speech problem, but her's isn't the typical not pronouncing the "r", "th" or other sounds.  My sweet girl stutters and it breaks my heart when she gets frustrated over not being able to speak.  I completely understand because I suffered through the same thing growing up.

I first mentioned this little problem to our pediatrician at Olivia's 3 year well child check.  At this point she had been stuttering for 9 months but said it is very normal for children who are learning to talk.  But now that it's been going on for nearly 18 months and it was time to get her looked at.

Olivia has good days and very bad days with speech.  Good days she may stutter a handful of times throughout the day.  On the very bad days each sentence is filled with moments of getting stuck.  I was terrified that when we visited with the pathologist it would be a good day and they would tell me there wasn't a problem.  So over dinner last week I brought out our digital recorder and had a small conversation with Olivia.  I am thankful for this technology because Monday was a good day.

After the pathologist had a moment to listen the recording, she was able to hear the stutter and agreed the best option was for us to seek some help.  My option are to go with the clinic at $85 an hour (our insurance doesn't cover speech therapy) or get into the school district for free speech.  I've already contacted the school district and they should call me back in the next few weeks.

I hope this will be a quick process, I don't want Olivia to suffer.  People really are very cruel!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, poor Olivia! Fynn didn't have any speech problems and Philipp is not talking yet.
    But my best friend's son has trouble with "s" and "f" and "sch" and "ch". He always sounds like he has a cold and speaks very slowly. He is in first grade now and I know what you say that people (especially other kids) can be very cruel!
    He's been in speech therapy for over a year already and it's constantly getting better!
    I wish you all the best and good luck with your therapy!
    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweet girl! My little brother (he's seven now) had an issue with stuttering. It was almost like he was thinking faster than he could speak. He did speech therapy and now it's only an issue when he's really tired. He was never picked on though. You are doing the right thing and you are such an awesome mom!

    ReplyDelete