Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Think Aheads

In my on-going quest to become a more organized person, I have realized that I fall short much of the time. I have slacked on holidays around here, as mentioned in my Search for the Perfect Dress post. Several times this summer I have caught myself thinking, "Today is Independence Day and I planned nothing!" I want my children to have fun memories filled with traditions and time together as a family. I am failing!

To overcome this re occurrence in my life I have made myself "Think Aheads." Basically I have set up a reoccurring reminder (nice thing is that it will remind me again next year and the year after) that it's time to think of a particular holiday. This is on my computer with the Outlook program. I thought ahead for all the holidays and birthdays that we celebrate and figured approximately how much time it would time for me to plan, purchase or craft for that event. Some holidays I have given several months to prepare for, others a few weeks.


Then when I am reminded of that "Think Ahead" on my laptop or blackberry I can take out my trusty Holiday Idea binder and start making a list of what I need. So far I am feeling less stressed and find that I am keeping everything simple!

My only problem now is that we are hitting that time of year when so much is happening! I haven't finished Halloween when today I got a reminder for Christmas. Yes, it's September but I am an early shopper!

3 comments:

  1. I do this too! I have excel spreadsheet with a holiday budget. I include EVERYTHING: food costs, postage stamps, tape, wrapping paper, gifts, etc. It really helps. I'm also an early shopper... you save so much money that way and give thoughtful gifts because you aren't buying things at the last minute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are more on top of things than I am. I'm doing well to realize it's almost September. However, I am working on a project that, if my test run goes well, will also be a "bulk" handmade Christmas present idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly. It IS September. You really are doing better than I am.

    ReplyDelete