Monday, September 7, 2009

Christmas Mini Envelope Advent

With it being September, you may think it's a little early to start thinking about Christmas. I personally like to spend at least the whole month of December enjoying the holidays rather than worry about projects, let alone the dreaded shopping. So it's the perfect time to think about holiday projects.

Last fall I was searching for the perfect advent for my family and loved the idea of little envelopes, each filled with something you could do together to count down to Christmas. I was determined to make my own and I am happy to share it with you!




At a local scrapbook store I purchased several different kinds of holiday paper and used the store's die-cut machine to make mini tags.




And to make mini envelopes.



Once folded, they look something like this. I loved finding double sided paper to use for this project.



Then I got to use some creativity to decorate the envelopes. I used various ribbons, stickers and the mini tags.



For the mounting board, I used the extra heavy weight cardboard and put scrapbook paper around it. I won't give measurements because depending on the size of envelope will determine how big of surface you need.

You can't see it in the picture, but I have attached a ribbon to the top to hang the advent up. You could even put it on an easel and display it that way.



Some close-ups of the decorated envelopes, each hand numbered.





And a big star for the grand finale! The reason for the season!



I have been thinking for sometime as what I want to put inside the envelopes. You could make a tag with the countdown event on it, or even a simple piece of paper. This will take a bit of time and planning on your part. I plan on putting in things that we would normally do, like our annual family Christmas party, and things that would be fun to experience together. Most things will be fairly simple, just something little to count down to the big day.

Here are a few ideas:

* Decorate family gingerbread house
* Go see the drive-through lights
* See the lights on Temple Square
* Make paper snowflakes decorate windows
* Paint toe nails (Livy loves this!)
* Pick out a tree together
* Decorate tree and eat danish cookies & hot chocolate,
* Bake Christmas cookies and decorate
* Watch a Christmas movie
* Family Christmas party
* Read a special Christmas story together
* Draw a picture of the nativity
* Mail Christmas cards
* Go to German store and get goodies & advents
* Go to the church Christmas party
* Dance to Christmas music
* Play in the snow
* Take Christmas gifts around to neighbors and friends
* Do a Christmas craft together
* Write letter to Santa
* Make a picture for Grandma & Abuelos
* Have a fondue night
* Build snowmen out of marshmallows
* Family game night
* Breakfast for dinner
* Night time walk with homemade lanterns
* Make thumb print art
* Buy Christmas coloring books and color
* Make chocolate covered snowmen hats
* Go ice skating
* Build a snowman together
* Christmas Eve celebration (Whatever special you do this night!)


For more Christmas Advent ideas, here is the Matchbox Advent that I made last year.

11 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! What a lovely gift it would make as well ... I have a friend with a cricut machine so we could make the envelopes/tags at her house one night ... and what a great way to use up all the scraps of paper I have floating around. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, a very pretty too! I'm going to save this idea for when we have a family.

    I'm with you on starting early. I got a start on my Christmas shopping this past weekend. The less I have to do when the stores are packed the better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! Especially recommending to go to the German shop!! ;) You are truly inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute! Thanks for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grand idea - we are also starting Christmas/holiday stuff in our area. It's the best time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I might have to try this project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a fab countdown list. I think you might have inspired me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I may have to try it! Hope you are doing well:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you are so organised you are thinking about Christmas already. That is a lovely advent calendar. We have a wooden one for Izzy where she opens a drawer every day and it contains a decoration to hang on a little tree. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I love the advent calendar! Such a great idea... Could you tell me more about the die cuts you used? I've never used a machine like that before for envelopes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linnea,

    The scrapbook store that I went to purchase the paper had the die cut machines. They were free for me to use when I purchased the paper. They are really easy to use. If your local store has something like it, I'm sure any employee could help you find a good envelope die cut and help you work it. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete