Sunday, April 20, 2008

Why should it matter?!

I am in an bi-racial marriage. Of course, I NEVER look at it like that. I do not see Eduardo as being anyone except for my companion, friend, and husband. I have never worried how people would view me by being in this kind of relationship and I honestly don't understand why it should matter. It is not like Eduardo is an alien with a tail.

When we first married and started to try for our family, I worried that my children would be treated differently. I wondered if they would be teased in school for having a Hispanic last name or for having darker skin. (Olivia's skin is as fair as mine.)

I have worried if Eduardo would have problems finding a good job because someone couldn't face the fact that he wasn't born here. Even though Eduardo was born and raised in Venezuela, he is an American Citizen (and proud of it), a college graduate and an honestly good person.

Again I never really worried about how I would be treated. Today, I learned that I have been hurt by someone being prejudice against me. It would have happened nearly four years ago and I am just now learning of this. I can't give any specifics because some of you know this person.

I do want to say that I am hurt that someone could treat me differently because of who I married. It shouldn't matter if we looked different when we first moved in. Why not get to know us and see that we are good people. I'm sure that we have proven ourselves by now.

And to stress my point and for a reminder for everyone, not all Hispanic people are Mexicans. Please stop calling them Mexicans unless you know for a fact that they are from Mexico. Remember that there is good and bad in every community and you can NOT judge an entire "race" by the deeds of one person.

5 comments:

  1. I hear you! I have often had similar feelings with my marriage because even though I was born in the US I look very different. My father was from Saudi Arabia an that is where I get my looks from. I used to worry about our children looking like me and facing difficulties because of my background. Ever since 911 people look at arabs and others of that same culture differently, they are afraid of them and I never wanted that for my family. I am happy to say I have not faced any of those problems and of course Nathan obviously looks mostly like Joseph. I do hope if any thing does arise in our lives that we can set a good example and be christ-like no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me sad. You guys are wonderful, don't forget it!! If someone doesn't get to know you and judges you anyway, it's their loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry you've faced this. Your family is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen Sister! No one needs to be judgemental like that! I'm glad you guys are together, you are a great couple and great friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I lived in Venezuela for three years when I was a kid!

    It's sad that people are mean sometimes. Since it happened a while ago maybe they're sorry now?? (hopefully!)

    ReplyDelete