Sunday, June 3, 2012

Healthy Snacks


One of my hardest things is figuring out healthy snacks to feed to my children and myself.  Now with PCOS I must eat every 3 to 4 hours and that means healthy snacks.  I have been researching some simple snacks that we can eat at any time.  You will probably think that many of these are too simple, but honestly simple is good.  I plan on having a list of snacks that I can choose from when I am planning shopping trips and also to look at on those days when I don't know what to make.

With PCOS I must remember that all meals, including snacks, must have a low GI carb (this doesn't mean that I can never have a higher GI carbs, but I must limit them) with a protein.  I can have a protein alone, but never a carb alone.  Fruits and Veggies fall in the carb range.

1. One Apple with 1 T almond of peanut butter
2. 1/2 oz (or check serving size on package) raw nuts with fruit (apple, banana, plum, pear, orange, wedge of melon, cup of berries, 2 kiwis, 1/2 grapefruit, etc).
3. 1/2 cup whole grain cereal mixed with 1/4 c almonds and 1/4 c dried berries, apricots or raisins.
4. 1 cup cut-up sauteed veggies and stuffed into a small whole wheat pita
5. Cup-up veggies dipped into 4 oz plain yogurt or cottage cheese mixed with lots of dill, chives, ginger, red pepper flakes or other spices--your choice.
6. Yogurt (I like Greek) with 1/2 cup fruit and 1 T Flax Seed.
7. Green Smoothies (Still looking for a good recipe!  Please share if you have a good one!)
8. Mozzarella Stick or Cheddar cheese stick with a large orange or other fruit.
9. One Cup steamed edamame
10.  4 T Hummus and 8 whole wheat pita chips (I love it on pita bread!)
11. 8 baked corn tortilla chips, 2 T guacamole and 2 T salsa
12. Banana Smoothie:  3/4 C Greek Yogurt, 1/2 C Milk, 1 Frozen banana, 4 T vanilla Protein powder
13. 1/3 C guacamole and 12 baked corn chips
14. 1/2 tuna salad sandwich on whole grain bread
15. 1/2 C yogurt, 1 sliced apple, 1 T chopped walnuts
16. 1/2 C yogurt, 1 T flax seed, 1.2 C diced peaches or pears
17. Smoothie: 3/4 C milk, 1/2 banana, 1/2 c greek yogurt, 1/4 c sliced strawberries or raspberries
18. 1 hard boiled egg, 1 apple, 3 walnuts
19. Frozen berry nut parfait:  1 C Greek yogurt, 1/2 c blueberries, 1/3 c diced frozen strawberries, 1/2 packet sweetener (I will find the equivalent to aguava nectar or Stevia), 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/4 c chopped walnuts.  Put everything into food processor minus nuts.  Blend and then stir in nuts.  Put into container and freeze 30 min.  Makes 4 servings.
20. 2 hard boiled eggs, yolks scooped out stuffed with 4 T hummus.

More to come!  Please share your healthy snacks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment