Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Do you take a change of clothes to work?

Normally when I am getting ready for a trip, it turns out to be a week long event. I make lists of all the mundane tasks that I MUST complete before I go. Some actually make sense like use the milk in the fridge and take out the trash. And other things I'm sure only I think of. Sometimes the thought will run through my head that if I were to die on this trip, what would my house look like for my family to go through. Would they find piles of junk or questionable items or would they find the home that I hope to achieve; well organized and clean.
This time around, I hope to accomplish one thing: Pack. I haven't had the energy to deep clean the house and do laundry. Of course there was the very important task of booking a boarder for my dog, Sam, and making sure he had his shots.
Yesterday I completed this exhausting task. Anytime I must take Sam out in public, it is an embarrassing task. Why can't he be a normal dog!? We watched the movie "Marley & Me" over the weekend and there are so many similarities between Marley and Sam. I can't help but think, at least Marley liked other people.


Since we replaced one of Sam's knees last summer (MAJOR surgery) he hasn't been the same. He is terrified of everyone he doesn't know. I had the thought yesterday that we could never move out of state until Sam has died. It would be an impossible task to find a new groomer and boarder. Unfortunately, after yesterday's events we may no longer be allowed at the Vet. This isn't the first time this has happened! It is never good when you take your dog in for a check up and the Vet insists on seeing your dog through the car window!


I normally stay on top of Sam's vaccinations. But with the move, I completely forgot he needed his Bordetella and Parvovirus boosters which are essential for him to stay at the boarder. So off to the Humane Society yesterday to get inexpensive shots and no exam (which can't be preformed on Sam anyway). I made sure to put on his extra thick muzzle and ignored all the looks of disgust from the people in the waiting room. I even had one old lady ask why I had that on his mouth. I wanted to tell her because he will either do two things to you, attack you or pee allover your shoes, but I didn't have the heart. I took the nicer approach and tried to explain that he had surgery last year and is simply afraid of strangers.


The Vet Tech finally came to take Sam back and I had to explain that I NEEDED to be in the room with him. I went over the same story about the surgery and she seemed to understand. I don't think she expected him to act the way he did though and I am positive it would have been worse without me.
Once in the room, he coward in corner or tried so hard to attack the poor tech. (Yeah for me for remembering the muzzle) Finally the doctor came in to administer the shots. While trying to keep Sam from attacking and pulling him out from the corner, I ended up getting my shoe peed on. This was nothing!
By the time the wrestling match was over and the shots were given, I realized the mess that Sam created. He had several squishy BMs all over the floor and on top of the Vet Tech's shoes, peed large puddles on the floor and the worst of it on the poor tech. She was soaked! I hope that she had any extra set of scrubs!

All said and done, the doctor recommended that we sedate him before we bring him in again. I may have to remember that one!

On a lighter note, I should know what my test results are for the blood work I did on Monday sometime while I'm gone. Not exactly the answer I was hoping for when I called yesterday. I was told at the time I had the blood drawn that this was a simple test where they are looking for the fifth disease antibodies and I should have the results on Tuesday. I called and all they could give me where the test results from the last panel of blood work I did last week. Which is great to know considering that my childhood MMR shot has worn off and I can now get Rubella if exposed. Joy! It really shouldn't be much to worry about considering that you don't see Rubella or German Measles as often.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry but I still find the Sam story funny the second time around...poor baby though he really is a sweet dog and I'm so glad that he loves me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I feel your pain. Poor Sam! His knee replacement must have been horrible to create that kind of reaction now! Zoey and Pickle are pretty good at the vet, they just don't like to get up on the scale and be weighed (ladies never like that, do they?) Mr. is a whole different story. He completely ignores you if he doesn't like you and if he likes you, well, you are in for a treat! He'll hike his leg and urinate on you to mark you as "his". I can't tell you how many times I have been peed on at the dog park. Naughty boy. Have a fun vacation! Where are you guys going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Sam. Poor you. Sedation might just be the answer the next time you have to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Sorry about your dog - hope you weren't wearing your favorite shoes! My little babe is probably allergic to dogs, so we don't even have to wonder about going there.

    ReplyDelete