Monday, February 23, 2009

Talk about a new fridge

So after the old-truck-running-idle sound started in the fridge and quickly turned to a constant machine gun noise, we knew it was time for a new fridge. I don't mind, I hated this fridge from the moment we moved in roughly 3 months ago.

I, personally, do not care for white fridges. I like the look of black or stainless, but that is only my opinion. I am not complete prejudice towards white appliances. In fact, if this fridge was fully functional then I wouldn't have disliked it so.


My biggest complaint was that there was practically two shelves. You might notice the small partial shelf in the middle. I couldn't move it and it was only good for a carton of eggs or a package of tortillas.



This was one small fridge was an even smaller freezer. Thank heavens that I have a small chest freezer or we wouldn't have made it.


On Saturday this came...

Certainly a little modern for my taste, but once I saw the inside, I knew I had to have her! Plus she was on clearance for $700!
How about a tour of this fridge which really came will all the bells and whistles?!


I love the idea of the freezer on the bottom. Now everything in the fridge is at eye level and I can see exactly what I have.



I love the wine rack holder. We don't drink alcohol, but it is perfect for bottled waters and sparkling cider. There is enough room in front for left-overs (no more getting lost).



I love the drawer for the produce.


The best thing is that the compartments come out for easy washing.


Another great feature is on the door of the fridge. The shelves that you put the condiments on come out. I have never seen that before! Spill a little mustard and off to the sink for a rinse.
As I was reading through the owners manual, I noticed a very interesting feature. For practicing Jews it has a Sabbath mode where the interior light and alarm (more about that in a moment) will not sound. We're not Jewish, but still interesting.
If you leave the fridge door open for too long, an alarm will sound (not loud but enough to hear it) letting you know that you are letting too much cool air out.


This is the freezer. I like that it isn't one giant drawer to fish in, but rather smaller drawers to keep everything organized. It is currently empty. I simply haven't gotten around to hauling everything in from the chest freezer.



All three compartments roll out for easy access. The middle one is shallow and intended for ice cube trays. There is not an ice-maker which we actually opted-out for. With Eduardo's job, he has many claims for the water line braking and didn't want to take the chance. The containers, like the fridge section, also come out (without much effort might I add) for easy cleaning.



You might ask what I don't like, well there isn't a drawer for deli meat and cheese. But that won't get me down! I found a simple solution with a storage container.

For more Talk About Tuesday, head to The Lazy Organizer.

13 comments:

  1. Very nice! How thoughtful of them to keep the Jewish tradtions in mind when designing the fridge. I got a good laugh from that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Talk About It Tuesday ...

    I LOVE your new fridge! I KNOW you are enjoying the extra shelf space.

    I've been thinking about going with the bottom freezer next time my self. I've had an appliance plague at my house lately, but the fridge seems to have survived. Maybe it'll be a while before I have to make that purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! "I'm not completly prejudice against white fridges..." LOL! That line just cracks me up! LOL! Great looking fridge! I can't wait to update our own kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice, Nicol. Very clean and tidy--makes me think I should add "clean fridge" to my to-do list soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly I think I have the exact white fridge you had. It is so small especially the freezer. Would be so nice to get a nice new one like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicol, I am very impressed with your new fridge! It's beautiful! I love that price as well. I am currently at Disney World with the family and having a great time! You and Eduardo have got to bring Livy, she would love it! I haven't been since I was 8 years old and I feel like I am a kid again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a beauty, i too like older looks but i have a new stainless in my new home, and it is great...and easy to keep clean too. good for you
    enjoy
    kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the fabulous features! We went with a side by side and it makes it difficult to make room for everything some times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nicol,
    very posh fridge with the stainless. my fridge is like yours with the freezer on the bottom I love it there. although mine doesn't have all the freezer cubbies but it has a shelf and large basket I can pull out.
    way to go girl great fridge. gina purdy wallcovering

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm jealous! We bought a new stainless steel fridge when we moved into our house 5 years ago and went back and forth on the freezer on the bottom or the top. Now whenever I go to people's houses with the freezer on the bottom, I drool. Bummer choice we made. :) Your new fridge looks great!

    ReplyDelete