Sunday, February 22, 2009

Summer thoughts and garden plans

It seems like a winter ritual for me to think about gardens. I love to garden, but I wouldn't say that I am a Master Gardener. Simply that I enjoy helping things grow.

This winter ritual is even better this year because I have a new yard to design. I would say that my yard is fairly typical; nearly all grass, small flower garden up against the front of the house and a small veggie garden in the back. For me, I want a space that calls out to me and seduces to me enjoy it. So the planning as begun.

With the help of Eduardo, I set out to measure my entire 1/3 acre and its current contents. Then with graph paper in hand, I let my imagination go. Here are some things that I have collected that have given me inspiration. When I find something that I like, I rip it out and put it into my Garden Idea Binder.

I love the idea of Espalier gardens. This one is using Ivy and the photo below is using fruit trees.

An espalier fruit tree. I plan on doing these all along the sides of my fences. I figure I can plant 13 to 15 fruit trees. True, I won't get as much fruit if I planted it traditionally, but according to what I have read it will produce larger fruit.



How about a knot garden? I love formal gardens!



Wouldn't that be so enjoyable on a summer evening?



How about a hidden nook to have breakfast in?



I currently have a LARGE patio area that I plan on surrounding with trees, bushes and perennials. On Saturday, as Eduardo cleaned out the garage, I sat in an old rocker chair in the driveway soaking up the sun. (Little did I know that I would get a sunburn, in February, from that pleasure.) I thought it would be nice to have an area down from the patio where I can watch Livy play and soak up the sun, with a large umbrella of course.

I thought this was neat. Look at the patio floor. It may look like stone but really it is painted concrete. This would be a tedious task on my extensive concrete patio, but the results are fantastic!


I like this idea too. I would love to put a pergola over my patio. A little extra shade and also a nice place to hang the hammock or have dinner.
A few other things in my garden plan include a greenhouse, compost tumbler, a large play area for Livy (currently there is a sand box and playhouse), extend the veggie garden and have a fire pit.
Naturally my over-the-top-plan won't be happening this summer. The first step is to plant trees in the back and take a few garden design class at a local garden. If there is anyone in the area that would like to join me, please let me know.

10 comments:

  1. I agree with the previous comment. I could never draw plans for or organize landscaping stuff.

    I am giving you a couple of awards, stop by to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have rippout a couple of the same pictures in my binder. We have a backyard that is yet to be landscaped - so we get to start from scratch. it's a little overwhelming, but oh, so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your ideas! Landscaping in our yard has been an evolution. I too clip out pictures of all sorts of home and garden ideas I like and keep them in folders. It is amazing how many of those ideas we have used over the years. Keep dreaming - and drawing! I enjoyed your blog. Thanks Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. The graph paper layout is awesome. Alan has some of those for our yard, too. His detail (color-coordinated, of course, because I contributed) includes things like sprinkler coverage and an elaborate deck/hot tub combo he wants to build someday.

    I think you're both amazing and a little crazy. I hate gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great plans for organizing your gardens! Soon your dreams will come true!

    Happy spring!
    Debbykay at Rose Cottage Gardens and Farm

    ReplyDelete
  6. time to start doing my garden plans... again! maybe this year I will actually plant something, haha.
    Great post! Spring is almost here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An espalier fruit tree is on my list too. Isn't it fun to plan and dream!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I wish we lived near each other! I do the same thing...dream and draw and rip out pictures.

    Thanks for sharing your inspiration!
    Kimba

    ReplyDelete