Monday, January 5, 2009

Color, Height, and Texture!

So what do you do after being sick for over a week? You go shopping of course!

I have a large "plant shelf" (I guess that is what it is called. It should be named, "huge dust trap that needs an enormous ladder to get to shelf." ) in the living room that needed something up there. I had several items from our previous house and needed to find a few more special items to really make it pop. So off to two of my favorite decorating stores! Tai Pan Trading and Rod Works.

A few of the goods. (Except for the first photo. That came from the store called Mom's)

Let's put it all together.....

First the mantle. I wanted something to contrast the white of the mantle and the softness or brightness of the gold walls. I choose a large black/brown mirror from our last house and objects that balanced all of the colors. My original plan was to decorate in gold, black and white. It's funny that things never go quite as planned, and honestly I love how things turned out. The colors for my living room are gold, black, brown, white and green. This space also needed to be kept simple to balance out the busy display on the plant shelf.

Simple but elegant.

For the plant shelf. I need a variety of color (sticking with my chosen colors), height and texture. This is what I came up with....





Head over to The Lazy Organizer for more Talk About Tuesday.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks nice...now you can come and help me with my mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your plant shelf! You did a really good job of balancing your items so that they stand out but also blend. Does that make any sense to anyone else but me? Good job, Nicol! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the mantle is gorgeous as well... but that plant shelf... WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I wish I had a big shelf like that. Of course, if I did, you'd have to come to my house to decorate it for me. You have a gift for decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally home and catching up...everything looks beautiful. I know you are having so much fun figuring it all out...doing a great job too!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the shop called Mom's!! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! Want to help me decorate my next house?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mantel looks very nice. Plant shelves, whatever they are called have, have become my enemy - especially with a baby allergic to dust!

    ReplyDelete