Monday, December 29, 2008

New house, new me?

It's that time of year when we ponder about what we want to change about ourselves. I, like most people create New Year's resolutions and completely fail at them by January 3rd. Why is that? Perhaps I am making unrealistic goals that simply won't work for me. Or maybe the way we think of goals.

Why do we spend time thinking that on January 1st we will be better people by working out, reading more, spending more time with our kids? Shouldn't we decide that starting today (any day) I can make this change and this is how I am going to live my life?

When we moved into our new house a month ago, I decided that with a new house there will be a new me. I have set goals and decided that today (everyday I must decide this) I will work on a few things. Somethings are unrealistic to do until the New Year, some I have completed and working strongly on.

One thing that helps me is to create a schedule. When I did this, I tried to figure out how can I spend my time more wisely, and I found many areas that I needed to improve on. I spent a few weeks (one thing I did at the in-laws) about what I wanted to accomplish each day. I knew that I wanted to have time to cook (yuck, but necessary), clean house (fun, really!), play with Livy, workout, do craft projects, run errands, family time, and read. I have the time and I didn't want to find myself at the end of the day wondering what I did all day. (Oh yeah, I sat behind the computer all day!)

My new start:

* Lose some weight. I know that this is probably something on every one's list. During this move I put on some weight and I want to get rid of it. Just like having a baby and wanting to get to your pre-pregnancy weight, I want to get to my pre-move weight. Status--waiting to get through the holidays, New Year's here we come.

* Cook. This is one thing that I don't like to do and fortunately for me I have been forced to cook more at home. We used to eat out nearly every night and considering that the nearest anything is 9 miles, it is easier to say home. --doing this!

* Move Livy to a big girl bed. She is ready and we figure, new house, new room, new bed. --complete!

(I will have a post soon with her bedroom remodel. I can't get over how nice it has turned out. Still need to get pictures hung before you can fully see it.)

* Potty Train Livy. She is ready and I have been putting it off. I didn't want to do it while we were selling our house, living with the in-laws or during the holidays. --This week we are going to do this!

* Spend less time in front of the computer. This one has been hard for me. I love having this connection to outside world, especially now that I know no one and live in Rural USA, but I have been a bad mommy. --currently working on this one. So far, so good!

* Get our Food Storage. This has been recommended for us to obtain and we are working hard on this. With the way how the economy is, I don't want to be left without food if things get bad. --working hard!

(Small, but never the less, we have some for an emergency!)

What are your goals for the New Year?

6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year...we both have a lot of the same resolutions!

    Glad you all are getting use to your new home can's wait to see some pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicol,

    I love the beadboard in Livy's room! I did that in my bathroom when we renovated (it replaced pink sixties wall tile and was a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to install than new tile). I have pretty much the same resolutions that you have; with my number one being organizing my new house. You seem so settled in your new house, how do you do it?

    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike - you have all mine listed!

    We have a dyson but ever since I took it apart to wash it - it hasnt worked as well. My advise DO NOt get any water in the hose and make sure everything is completely dry before you use it again. We love our Dyson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals! I like the idea of food storage. That is something I need to add to my list for 2009!
    Toni
    http://thehappyhousewife.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun potty training. How much simpler life is after nappies!

    I'm going to show Recaro a photo of your food storage. He'll be very inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For potty training make sure you have a training seat for all the bathrooms. My friend ran into that issue with her two year old this week. She ordered another seat.

    ReplyDelete