Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Update on Sam

Sam is now home from the doggy hospital and doing as well as can be expected. He was supposed to stay at the clinic until later this afternoon to be evaluated but considering his temperament (or in other words a BIG baby) I was asked to get him early.

It was horrible heading back past two other dogs on the operating table to a small dark room where Sam, and several other recovering dogs, was staying. As soon as the door to the room was opened, Sam started to howl and wouldn't stop until everyone, including myself, was out of the room. He wasn't acting like himself. Now naturally he would be a little loopy after a 1 1/2 hour procedure, but he was very nippy and I was afraid of being bit. So I was asked to come back in an hour.

Not wanting to drive 30 minutes to home just to turn around, I wandered around a foreign grocery store hoping to check off one of today's tasks. Let me say that I hate shopping at stores that I don't know that lay out for and to make it worse I left my shopping list at home. I wasn't expecting to go shopping until later.

After an expensive food bill (and I forgot half of my list so I will end up spending more later, arg!) I headed back to the clinic. This time Sam would leave the confounds of his cage but still wanted nothing to do with me. He didn't want me near him until we got him out to the car and carefully (not wanting to be bit) onto a seat. Once in the car and all strangers were out of view, he finally needed me. I felt nice to be wanted but at the same time I was a little afraid of him. My sweet dog, and I was afraid.

We had a quiet drive home with plenty of time for me to figure out how I was going to get him and all 40 lbs of fur into the house. He did not want to be carried and can't walk. It was a very interesting experience that I do NOT want to repeat anytime soon.

So now that he is home and resting, I worry about the carrying outside to go potty, taking his pain killers, having the staples removed in two weeks, icing his knee 3 times a day and how to keep Livy from torturing him.

I hope that he will no longer be in pain once he is recovered, that he will be able to go on walks, and get up and down the stairs on his own. It is so hard to see a pet go through something like this. He is a good dog and I am SO attached to him. He has been my baby for so many years while I was going through infertility treatments. I even threw him birthday parties before I had Livy.

Okay, I need to stop crying now. He really is fine, I simple hate seeing him like this.

3 comments:

  1. Dog surgery is so hard! Just like having a sick kid in so many ways. They can't do everything (anything) themselves and they have an independence streak a mile long. I hope Sam is "up and around" as much as possible soon. It's so hard to watch them suffer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor baby...he needs a Scooby snack and a big but gentle hug, he's such a sweet boy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your poor doggy! We had a dog growing up that was always such a problem after any time at the vet, when normally she was completely sweet.
    I hope he feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete