Sunday, June 15, 2008

Middle of the Night

Every so often I have "freak-outs" at night. The first time that I remember it happening was four years ago after we moved into our house. Eduardo and I were sound asleep when I woke suddenly and couldn't figure out who was in bed with me. I jumped up and grabbed the nearest article of clothing that I could find and ran out into the playroom. I remember standing there alone in the dark thinking that there was a stranger in my bed. Soon I realized where I was and that it was only my sweet husband in bed with me.

The second time was very similar except it wasn't a stranger in my bed but my brother. It didn't take me as long to realize that my brother was far away in his own bed and Eduardo with me in mine.

Back in April when there was heavy helicopter traffic trying to find a local girl that was kidnapped, I woke up thinking that it was an alien invasion. It had finally happened, I was going to be abducted.

The most recent happened Wednesday night. The first time I was woken up I heard the thunder at 1 AM, and I did the only logical thing to dart right out of bed and start freaking out that it was an earthquake. How Eduardo sleeps through any of my night time freak-outs is beyond me! It took me a good 5 minutes to wake-up enough to realize that we had a pretty heavy storm and it was only thunder.

Does anyone else have middle of the night freak-out sessions, where you simple can't figure out what is going on for a time?

3 comments:

  1. I sometimes wake up in a total panic because I cannot remember where I am. I used to wake up crying after having that dream where you think all your teeth are falling out and are convinced that you've woken up and it's not a dream and they really are falling out.

    Have just read your 100 list and found it very interesting. We have lots of things in common. One: I also had great difficulty having La Fille. French doctors told me I was "far too old" and "had left it far too late" and "should have thought about it before" and "would never have a child". She is not just my little miracle, but a poke in the eye with a sharp baguette to the Gallic medical profession.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had many but there is one that sticks out in my mind very vividly. It was after my first baby was born. I woke up shaking my husband and was yelling at him because he had rolled over on the baby and was sufficating her. It took him a while to calm me down and convince me that she was in her own bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had some similar experiences like Alyssa. Nathan has never been a very good sleeper, so I often held him in the relciner through the night.

    Once my mom had been looking after him one evening and I was sleeping, there was a blanket next to me and when I woke up I thought Nathan was wrapped up in the blanket. I carried this blanket upstairs and my mom asked what I was doing. I said I was holding Nathan. She was a little shocked because she had just laid Nathan down in his bed.

    This happened frequently and I would wake up clutching a blanket in the crook of my arm, only to wake up and search through the blanket and he wan't there. He was always tucked quietly away in his bed. But for a few moments I would freak out because i couldn't find him all wrapped up in his blankie.

    I always snapped out of it a few moments later, but it always scared me.

    ReplyDelete