Monday, May 5, 2008

Bilingual

Some of you may not know that it took us YEARS to get our beautiful Livy. While going through all of the infertility treatments I would often think of all the things that I wanted for my children. I would check out parenting books, read reviews on baby gear and observe what other moms were doing. I was obsessed with parenting!

Of course, every month when I would discover, yet again, that I wasn't pregnant, I would be devastated. This continued on until I did find out that I was pregnant with Livy.

I can say that I have gotten nearly everything that I wanted in her. She was an extremely content baby. In fact I never really heard her cry until she was 6 months or so. If she needed something she would moan and groan. She also has a light complexion, light eyes (they're green!), dark hair even with some curl. She is a quick learner, early talker and has been about 6 months a head of game from the beginning.

The one thing that I have not gotten, was for her to be bilingual. I read several studies on how it would be easier for her to learn another language as a baby, especially during the first 12 months. I wanted for her to have a connection with her grandparents, her heritage, have advantaged over her peers and serve as a huge stepping stone in her learning other languages. (This would be very helpful if Eduardo does work for the US Embassy in the future).

I know that the best way for Livy to learn would be for Eduardo to only speak Spanish to her. He feels awkward speaking Spanish to her. He says that he has forgotten so many words, but I remind him that Livy will not mind or even know that he doesn't remember how to say hedgehog or beaver in Spanish. He does read her books in Spanish often, but that is the extent.

Over the weekend we dropped Livy off at her Abuela and Abuelo's house. It was great to get a away and spend time together but even better for Livy to get to know her grandparents. The plus to it is that they speak only Spanish to her. For this, I wish that we lived closer and we could take Livy to them more often.

I wish that could take over in the language department, but I unfortunately only speak English. I did study German for 3 years in high school and French for a year, but I have forgotten nearly everything that I learned. Although, when we were in Paris a few years ago, some of the French that I learned resurfaced.

I know that it is not too late for Livy to learn Spanish. Do you have any advice on how I can do this?

4 comments:

  1. Alan's cousin has taught her daughter, who is now 5, both sign language (she's a special needs teacher by profession) and Portuguese (her husband served a mission in a Portuguese-speaking area). As far as I know, they have done it by teaching her the alternate word or phrase when she says something new, and that has worked out fairly well for them. That way, Corby can also look up any of the less-common words he may have forgotten over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can watch Dora the Explorer :o) That's all I've got! Good luck :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is from a French-Canadian background. He speaks to Love Bug all the time in French. It was hard at first, because my French is pretty average, and nowhere near native, like B. Now I hardly notice. In front of family or friends, he continues and I translate for anyone who wants to know. It's improved my French too, thank goodness.

    We've read a lot of books on it and a favorite is "The Bilingual Edge". I'll check in our books and see if I can find any good starter suggestions for you. One thing I do remember without check back is they all agree it's never too late! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks A for the book recommendation. I have the book on hold at the library.

    I had a nice discussion with Eduardo and hopefully he will speak more Spanish to her. I really think that he just needs to start and it will flow from there.

    ReplyDelete