Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday: Mini Bouquets for Memorial Day

For as long as I can remember we have always gone to the cemetery on Memorial Day followed with a picnic lunch in the park. We would meet most of our extended family and have a mini family reunion. Naturally, there have been a few years that the weather simply wouldn't hold out and we would head to a restaurant or some one's house for lunch. This year was no exception with the weather, it rained the entire day.

Memorial is one of my favorite holidays because it is filled with tradition. The only thing that I have changed is not only taking flowers to my grandparents headstone but to all my direct ancestors in the state. We are talking about nearly 30 flower bouquets (that includes single bouquets on double headstones) and flags to veterans. This is no easy task especially when flowers cost so much.

So to make it where I can put flowers on every headstone, without going broke or having to set up a money market account to fund the project, I make mini bouquets.

I purchase 6 Memorial Day mums at the grocery store which were on sale for 3 for $10. During the year we save up jars and this year it happened to be baby food jars. On Memorial Day I will cut the mums and assemble mini bouquets, tie it off with a ribbon (that is the only way that Martha would approve of this project. lol!), fill with water and place into fast food drink holders. The drink holders keep everything from tipping over in the car and I use the same ones every years. I will use the potted mums, now with no blooms, and plant them in my yard for fall color.


For more great tips, head to Rocks in my Dryer.

9 comments:

  1. What a great way to remember our loved-ones; nice tip!

    Hope your Memorial Day was fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! What a nice tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great way to be able to afford putting flowers on each grave! I wondered how you went about doing that, great idea I will remember that. I love traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I'll add that to my list of ways to celebrate Memorial Day for next year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really a nice idea! We used to go to the cemeteries when I was a younger.. to plant flowers on my Grandfather's grave.. on memorial Day.. have not done this in years... Thanks for the thoughtful reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful caring tradition! I adore the drink holder idea! >head slap< why didn't I think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mini bouquets are so pretty and it's really so smart to put them in a drink holder!

    What a nice way to remember your family. Taking your daughter each year will really instill the importance of remembering family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a simple, sweet way to remember. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so beautiful. What a great, simple idea!

    ReplyDelete