Thursday, January 6, 2011

Mish Mash of Life

I'm going to attempt to write this.  With my slow internet connections, I can't guarantee anything.  Of course, if you are reading this than it means that I got it to work.

Life around the Montero's has been tiring.  This week I finally got up the nerve to start to wean Lucy.  I'm starting with daytime feedings and hope to have her completely weaned by the end of the month.  She is actually doing very well. Terrific in fact with no tears or whining.  The whining comes later in the day or rather all day.  There has been something about this past week that has my girls acting out and whining.  I'm pretty sure we all have cabin fever (meaning we're tired of being cooped up inside the house).

Cabin fever, then we should just get out of the house right?  Well if it was that simple then I would.  Honestly with the frigid temperatures and the ice that refuses to melt, I have no desire to leave the house.  The walk from the house to the mailbox is enough for me most days and with that I even complain of how cold it is.

So we're keeping busy by deep cleaning the house.  There is something about the new year that always makes me want to scrub every inch of my house, go through every box and get rid of anything that I haven't touched in the last month.  I'm making steady progress with completing my office, all the hall areas (4), laundry room and started this week on the master bathroom.  My goal is to have it finished by the end of the year but at this rate I'll have it finished long before that!

Change is coming with my church callings which I am grateful for.  As soon as I have been sustained I'll share it here.

I am taking the opportunity to learn to crochet from my mom.  She makes beautiful pieces!  I don't necessarily want to be as good as she but I would like to actually make something.  I've started a scarf that I would like to finish by the end of the year :).

Olivia has been extra sensitive of late over a variety of things.  A few days ago we learned that her Abuela (grandmother) fell on some ice and injured her elbow.  Enough so, that she has to go through physical therapy to help heal.  We told Olivia who immediately broke down into tears.  She was so upset that her Abuela was hurt.  After drawing a lovely picture and sending a get well card she did much better.

We have been talking about Penguins in our little home preschool.  Today we watched "March of the Penguins" which we both really enjoyed.  Although there is a part where a seal catches a mama penguin to eat.  Olivia started to bawl and in huge sobs was crying out for the poor penguin.  The sobs continued through the baby penguin chicks who had died in the blizzard.

Lucy is talking a lot.  She will copy almost anything that you say and has a fondness of B words.  Today while looking at the "March of the Penguins" dvd case she said penguin.  She will be having a full conversation with Olivia before I know it!

We'll find out the end of the month if Olivia qualifies for the free speech therapy program at the public elementary school.  With the fear of her falling through the cracks I'm also looking into other options.

Olivia is fascinated with anything Spanish right now.  She only wants to read books in Spanish (a task given to Eduardo) and will only watch shows in Spanish (thankfully I convinced her to watch "March of the Penguins" in English today).  She talks about how her dad speaks Spanish and that she wants to learn.  Concerned with her stuttering I asked the speech teacher if it was a good idea for her to learn Spanish or if it would cause any problems to her therapy.  We got the go a head and hopefully Eduardo will really start to teach her.  There is a Spanish immersion preschool that I would love to send her to but it's simply not in the budget.

So that has been life around here since the new year.  Hopefully in the next week or two I'll have a new internet service provided with better speeds.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on weaning Lucy, I have started gradually doing the same with Emma. Hopefully by the time our anniversary comes in April I can leave her for a couple of nights : )

    Oh and I totally feel the same about not wanting to go out, especially with the kids in the cold it is not pleasant! Cleaning is always a good way to pass the time.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our snow has already melted. It's not so cold anymore but raining all the time! Some areas really have problems with flooding rivers now. Fortunately we live on a hill - no water from the Rhine River will reach us here!

    ReplyDelete