Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day Celebrations

When I was little I thought that I couldn't celebrate St. Patrick's Day because I wasn't Irish. Later I found that I have an itty bitty speck of Irish and also realized that it is simply a fun holiday, especially for children. Here are a few things that we are doing to make today a little extra fun.

For about the past week, Livy has slept with her special St. Patrick's Day pillow. She refers to it as her green hat Patrick pillow. I am looking forward to the other holiday pillowcases that I have created for her.


A few Irish decorations in my holiday nook. I can't believe how hard it is to find non-tacky St. Patrick's day decor items. I have been looking endlessly for something large and tall to sit on my shelf next to the plate. Perhaps next year.


When I was growing up, I loved going to people's houses that decorated for the holidays. There certainly is not an option to decorate the entire house for every holiday so that is how my nook came to be. I have the one area that I will decorate for the holidays. My only problem that I have run into, what do I do in months like May, June and August when there are no holidays?


A special bow for today! This bow is huge compared to the ones that I have made in the past. There is about 2 1/4 yards of ribbon!



For dinner we will have Corned Beef and no cabbage (Not a huge fan of cooked cabbage) and left over birthday cake. I have several Leprechaun books to read and possibly some projects to make with Livy depending on how I feel today.


What are you doing special for today?

7 comments:

  1. I love the pillowcases! It is very hard to find St. Patrick's day decorations that don't have to do with drinking. I have white wire tree that sits on our kitchen table that I hung glittery shamrocks on and a little stone on a shelf that reads "May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow and good fortune follow you wherever you go." It's tough! We are having corned beef, cabbage and potatoes tonight. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are having corned beef and cabbage too. The leprechauns came and visited us last night and decorated our kitchen in green and left the boys cupcakes and surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May has a holiday... Memorial Day! It is just the last day so it doesnt seem like it is in May. =D

    June is a great time to celebrate summer. August too. Things like flowers blooming, playing at the beach and playing ball.

    Anyway, I love your pillowcase idea. I just might have to dig out my sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your holiday ideas are so great. We celebrate with some friends that have MAJOR Irish heritage. It's the second year, we're hoping it will be a tradition.

    For May and June, I leave my "flag/Americana" stuff out. Memorial Day is patriotic, right? And Flag Day is some time in June. Actually, I leave it up through Labor Day, and then put up my fall stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are awesome!! I made brownies with green mint frosting. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun. I love your decorations. I hope you're starting to feel better too! We have been sick a lot since moving too. New house germs that your body isn't used to maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holidays~ May is Mother's Day, Memerial, June is Father's Day, May 1st is Mother Goose Day. 1st week of August is Clown week, 2nd week is smile week, 3rd week is friendship week, and 4th week is national bowling week. Or just stick with fall decor.

    ReplyDelete