Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Life of a Pioneer


Today was our first day volunteering at This is the Place Heritage Park  (An 1860-1870 Pioneer Village) which went very well.  I was nervous on how well my children would do on a hot summer day for four hours.  Surprisingly they did very well; in fact I'll actually take them back with me next week.  I told them if they didn't behave they will stay home with Ed.  I want this to be an enjoyable experience for everyone.

A few weeks a go I attended a training where I was assigned my house (Anderson House) and soon after issued my clothing.  I've decided that if we really enjoy this experience and volunteer again next summer that I will be sewing my own clothing.  It's great that they have these items for us to use but my poor dress is covered with small holes, petticoat is no longer white and the dress is overall too big.

That brings me to researching period clothing which has turned to a whole Pinterest Board devoted to it.

So what did we do today?  After walking up to our house, we started on our chores.  We swept floors, washed windows and weeded the gardens.  In future weeks we will also be cooking on a wood burning stove.  Our shift actually went by very quickly!  The girls got to attend Pioneer School, ride the horses and visit the goats.  (One goat which was a little too frisky towards me!)

3 comments:

  1. Soooooo cool!!!! Isn't it going to be really hot? Can you wear a fan underneath your dress? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had this on my list to do with my kids when they get to Utah history--they go into 4th and 7th grade the same year, so the summer before we are going to do this. I worked at the American West Heritage Center and made all my own clothes, still have my aprons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a really nice thing - and it's sooo you! Great that the kids enjoyed it as well. How often are you going to do this?
    Bianca

    ReplyDelete