Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Decorating for the little one

Since I found out last Monday that my new addition will be another little girl, I have been looking for decorating ideas for the nursery.

This is no easy task with my itty-bitty budget. My greatest resource is eBay. I love that I can find new complete Pottery Barn Kid set for a fraction of the price. Sometimes they are used, but from experience with Livy's set, they last and look great after several years! (Of course, you must be willing to take care of it!)

What do I want in my baby's nursery? Not anything will do for my babies. I like good quality pieces that will last, non-baby styles that can be used for several years, and most importantly a room that I can feel happy to put together.

I'm not huge on themes, but finding colors that coordinate or pieces that help the room flow are vital. For example, when I did Livy's nursery the colors were bright pink, yellow and blue. The bedding had butterflies on it so I played that up with artwork and netted hanging butterflies from the ceiling.


Olivia's nursery. I love the dark cherry wood with the bedding. Above the changing table is the custom artwork that I made for her using butterfly stamps from all over the world. I wasn't able to paint her room, if I had it would have been something completely different.


Close up of the artwork.


Her "used" Pottery Barn bedding that is still in near perfect condition. What kind of deal did I get for her set you may ask. I purchased a quilt, duvet, 3 sheets, bed skirt, valance, 2 decorative pillows, 2 small pillowcases with insert for about $100 including shipping! One thing that was important to me was that these pieces could be used when Livy moved to a toddler bed. So in other words, bedding must last at least 4 years!

Livy's current room. It's not finished yet, after one more large project I can start to hangup artwork.

Butterflies suspended above her bed.


So now I'm off to find something unique for my new baby. In this first photo, I love the chandelier in the room. What an elegant and whimsical touch! I also love the border painted on this wall. I want something unique for my baby and also something different from Livy.



I love the silhouette pictures on the wall.


So what am I truly considering for my baby? What about purple and blue. I found this Pottery Barn set new on eBay (crib size of course) and simply love it! I plan on ordering it this week and then let the painting and true decorating begin!

7 comments:

  1. Oooh! I like it all. One of my best friends growing up had a room that was very classy and was done in blue and purple. Becca had a antique wrought iron double bed that was white and that looked great with the blue and purple but what I always loved was the border at the top of her walls. Her Dad had painted upside down triangles over and over again on the wall where the ceiling met the wall. The triangle were right next to each other and they also had a little circle at the point of the triangle that was hanging downward. I know that this seems crazy, but it was so cute! I hope you can visualize what I am saying. My friend Stacey did her new baby, Halle Kate's, nursery in purple and blue. Here is the link http://healdfamily.blogspot.com/2009/04/72-hours.html if you want to see some of what they did. Stacey was actually an interior designer before she had her first daughter, Matney, and became a SAHM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the purple and blue! Good choice of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a chandelier in a baby's room! I can tell you we've been looking at a couple at Urban Outfitters that are MDF, you put them together and buy a separate kit that is a light socket you attach that plugs into the wall (so no electrician work needed). As my husband pointed out, the cord can be hidden by curtains or whatnot. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I know what you have chosen I can make some things for the new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the blue. My daughter had a blue bedroom with a Beatrix Potter theme when a baby and now has a lovely New England blue room with white 'shipboard' type furniture. Timeless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooh, I love them all. The blue and purple is def. different. Good choice...have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the purple and blue. It reminds me of a summer dress I bought on Nantucket.... the colors are perfect!

    ReplyDelete