Monday, August 4, 2008

Home Tour Part 5--Bathroom and Laundry

I'm sure you are sick of seeing how horrible the house was. Today we are in the bathroom with a visit to the laundry nook.



This is one room that I really wish that I had a before picture of. In the bathroom imagine a door that opened into the hall (stupid!), inside was carpet (yuck!), a small sink, toilet and tub. And the world's worse wallpaper that we will see in a moment. Now in this bathroom, the tub was next to the door and the toilet and sink by the back wall. There was no shower in the house and I refused to use the tub. Didn't really have to since it all came out on day two.



I did have to use the toilet and sink for a few days and that was crazy. When you sat on the toilet your knees hit the cabinet of the sink. So in other words....this room is TINY!


This is the best "before" picture that I have. You can see a bit of the tub on the right and the toilet in the back and the plumbing to the sink. There was horrible linoleum on the walls which completely damaged them. We had to come up with an option that didn't involve tearing down the walls and replacing them. So we tiled the walls. There was also a pipe in the bathroom (I'm sure there is a technical name for it) that leads to the roof. You know to vent the stink. It was cracked so the bathroom had the smell of raw sewage.




Here you can see the lovely, bright wallpaper after I tore it down. This wallpaper wasn't only the walls but also on the ceiling. You can also see the glue (the black stuff--not mold) from the linoleum that was impossible to remove.




Yeah! The new tub is in, toilet installed and most likely the sink.




Tile work up and you might be able to see the curtain hanging in the doorway on the right. It took a while to get the doors installed. I was grateful to be able to shower in my own home instead of driving to my mom's.



And here it is today.



You can see the tile work completely finished and the lovely shampoo bottles in the old "window" of the bathroom before the previous owners did the addition. Does anyone know of a better way to "display" the shampoo and such. I want to have it in there, but with people soon to come tour the house I really want it looking pretty.






Cabinet to keep towels, makeup, toothbrushes in because the space is too small for a vanity. Couldn't even get a custom one to fit the space.






I like having this mirror in here, which was supposed to be a temporary fix until we found something else. It is too high and I must stand on a step stool to put on my make-up. I will need to find something else before we list the house.






This is the only piece of original molding in the house. It is beautiful and I can only imagine what the rest of the molding looked like.



Now on to the laundry nook.

This was the previous owners linen closet/coat closet. The laundry was originally down in the basement which we will see later on our tour. I needed to have main floor laundry and this was the perfect nook to have it.


This is how it looks now. Doors to close it off, although I keep it open a crack because the litter box is in there. That is one thing I really look forward to in a new house, someplace far away from everyday life for the litter box to be. That is Missi coming to see what I'm doing.


Open the doors and this is what you pretty much see. This is an old picture. I went through and took pictures later to realize that I forgot to put in a memory card. So you get this. We put in wire shelves to store cleaning supplies, pet food, etc. The top of the stacking washer/dryer houses extra toilet paper and dog food. This is one part of my house I wish was more organized, but haven't found what works for me.

Just a few more places to explore on my home tour.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that bathroom looked like a nightmare! As far as the mirror goes, you will most likely have to cover up some of the tile and that trim in order to get a mirror at the right height. Somehow I would think that you could find a pretty mirror with molding around it (or something similar) and have it "stand out" from the wall an inch or two so that the trim isn't making the mirror slanted. Do you get what I am trying to say here? Haha, it's hard to explain through a blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicol

    Everything looks beautiful! Boy had you guys been working. How long did it take?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicol

    Everything looks beautiful! Boy had you guys been working. How long did it take?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoying the tour. I'm doing similar with photos of our house. I have before and after photos of each room up on the study door so that when I get down about the house I can see how much we've achieved so far.

    You have impeccable taste each room is beautifully designed and finished. You will be sad to leave this house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicol,Nice job on the bathroom. I was a Real Estate agent and suggestion about the shampoo, either pretty containers that "match" the bathroom or put them away and put a silk plant or shells in a large jar in that space for showing the house. Less is more for showing the house :) Did the package arrive??Also, did you sponge the bathroom, looks great. I enjoy sponging:)
    Warmly,Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would hide the shampoo away in the cupboard when you show the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... the work you all did just continues to amaze me!
    I'm sure you can find something good for the mirror in the bathroom, but don't spend too much... this is the type of thing many people change for their own taste!

    As for the shampoo nook, I'd add a simple glass shelf about 2/3 of the way up for razors and bars of soap. And not to disagree with the last post, but keep the shampoo there. It's a convenient little place to store shower stuff and you want to highlight that for your potential buyers. I've been through a few real estate transactions, and I would say from the pictures I've seen, that your place is really simple and tasteful- perfect for showing.

    Have you thought about putting the pictures from before in a small photo album on the kitchen counter for showings. You could just label it "Before the Remodel" and then people could see what you did. Of course, ask your listing agent, because sometimes they have strong opinions on ideas like this, but the work and care you put into the house might be a great selling point. :-)

    ReplyDelete