Monday, June 14, 2010

Delivering the Mail

While I was in high school as one of my elective classes I took a fascinating class on the history of the American West. I love history and this class was especially interesting because it was on local history. I loved hearing the stories of the great outlaws like Billy the Kid and of the pioneers that settled the area. For a field trip we drove out to the middle of no-where to where the original Pony Express Trail was. At that time there was nothing around; just sagebrush and jackrabbits.

Now there is a town and I happen to live in it. One of the perks of living along the Pony Express Trail is that I get to see events like this:

A Pony Express reenactment. The riders started in Sacramento and will continue out to St. Joseph, Missouri. (Usually they start in Missouri and end in California.)


Olivia, being the horse-lover that she is, was excited to touch the horse that was getting ready to head out.



A new rider and a new horse, they are heading out to deliver the mail.





Following the unveiling of a new statue of a rider taking the oath, we enjoyed cake. I look forward to when Olivia is older and we can really talk about some of the wonderful history that surrounds us.

Do you live by any historical areas that do reenactments?

4 comments:

  1. does my mother asking me the same thing over and over count as historical reenactment?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great thing to be able to participate in! Steph went on a pioneer trek reenactment this last week. They were able to spend a few miles on the original Mormon Trail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just watched the best show on horses on pbs. im sure you can still catch it, they seem to replay shows alot
    thanks for the great post
    kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know they did this. We took a beautiful drive on Sunday along the Pony Express Trail and hit several monuments and maps. The kids thought it was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete