Sunday, January 3, 2010

How about an Apricot Massage by the fire?

Don't you just love a good massage? How about one in front of a fire given by someone you love? I love indulging my babies with just that, a soothing infant massage after bath time.

After I had Livy, I was determined to try new things. In a way I wanted to feel that I gave every possible thing to my children. Not material things, but rather experiences for growth and bonding.


Infant massage was a fairly new concept to me. I don't remember when I first heard of it. I do remember being intrigued by the class description as I was searching for childbirth classes offered by the hospital. I knew that once Livy was born I simply had to take that class.

After a 2-day class I had a better understanding of infant massage, the benefits and technique. It was something that I did frequently with Livy and I am excited to be doing it again with Lucy.
Giving these massages is the perfect end to the day. It gives us both a chance to relax and bond with each other. I love being able to look into her calm eyes and tell her I love you through touch!

I recommend Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents. This was the book given to us at the class. It has detailed pictures showing the different hand moves, strokes and techniques.

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome Nicol! I have heard of it before, and there are so many benefits of massage. One in particular is the release of toxins which is something we all need, including babies since we live in such a toxic world.

    Kudos to you for taking the class. I hope to do the same once I have children. I would imagine that massage would help relax them too so they'll be less fussy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was home over Christmas I spent a lot of time with my now 1 year old niece, and my favorite time was after her bath rubbing my apricot oil (I use it myself, and since I was in charge that day the johnson and johnson didn't get used) into her sweet skin and cuddling afterwards. She smelled awesome, I knew her skin was well moisturized (she had been having dry skin issues) and it seemed to calm her a bit!

    ReplyDelete