Friday, August 7, 2009

Searching for the perfect dress

My thoughts over the past few weeks have turned to Halloween. I know it's only the beginning of August, but I like to plan a head. Plus considering the fact that my baby is due around Halloween, I better be prepared.

I have taken out my trusty Holiday Idea book, filled with things that I would love to create or at least think about creating. I have dog-eared several pages in the hopes of accomplishing a special day for Livy. I have totally slacked lately in more ways than one. Last month when it is was Independence Weekend and I thought to myself, I planned nothing. I should have at least picked up some hot dogs to barbecue. This is not like me! I mean, I'm the one who would have everything planned months in advance. So with not forgetting another holiday, I am starting early.

I've thought a lot about a costume for Livy. This is normally when I start to purchase because I can get a better selection. This year I want to do something a little different.

A month or so ago, Livy came across a Princess dress.


She LOVES this dress! She is wearing it non-stop to the point that I believe it will become a permanent part of her body. (Fortunate for me I was able to wash it.) First thing in the morning I hear, "Princess! Princess Dress!" Quickly followed with "Cinderella Slippers" (the cute see-through plastic ones in the picture above). The remainder of the day I hear her clomping through the house asking to watch one of several princess shows.


For a 2 year old girlie-girl, playing dress-up and wanting to wear a princess dress is nothing. Unless it happens to be her very first Halloween costume worn when she was 7 months old!


How is that possible? I purchased a 6-9 month size and discovered it was a little big. But truly not over-whelming big. It went down to the floor at the time where now it is a whole lot shorter and a little snug in the bodice.


But that certainly doesn't discourage Livy from putting on her Princess Dress. With that in mind, I'm searching for some well-made princess dress-ups that she can wear after Halloween. Why wear a costume only once? I'm placing an order today and hopefully the ones I have chosen will be a great quality and work perfectly for this year's festivities.

13 comments:

  1. I think all little girls love princesses! My little girl Alayna loves her little Cinderella dress that I think will also become apart of her body. :) As well as watching every Disney princess movie made..daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup - I'm with you there, my Daughter wore her Belle dress almost permanently for a year, I remember odd looks as we walked around a Garden Centre - me in wellies and a big coat - her in Belle dress, plastic shoes and an inch of mud growing on the bottom of the dress. She was happy, I was happy, it worked for us. Halloween : http://jonandsarah.blogspot.com/2008/11/halloween.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you find her 6-9 month dress? This is the first time I've had a little girl for Halloween and I guess I need to start thinking that way... Please let me know if you have any suggestions

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds familiar! last year i bought about a dozen princess and different types of dress ups dresses for avery. (also lots of superhero type ones for ethan). i agree with getting the main halloween costume early for best selection but i've found that the best times to buy costumes is the week of halloween. i got great disney quality dresses for under $10 each- not to mention super cheap accessories. i bought a bunch of different sizes to so she can grow in them. have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's too funny. I'm glad she let's you wash it. I've heard horro stories about kids who would not take off clothes for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is darling! Have you seen the adorable little girls dressup outfits at Target? The outfits have dolls in matching outfits. Of course they are over priced but soooo cute. Check them out if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a princess dress, too, when I was a kid. I had to be Sleeping Beauty. Wore it everyday. It finally fell into rags.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My babe was born around Halloween and the best thing I did was buy all my Christmas presents before she was born! I totally loved those holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! We had a witches costume that lasted three Hallowe'ens - she'll need a new one soon. (Over here the kids only dress as Hallowe'en characters such as witches, ghosts, dracula, frankenstein's monster, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dressing up is one of Peaches' favourite things. Asda's my choice for costumes - I'm saving up a pirate dress for halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is adorable, fun and easy to make! This will definitely transform my lovely princesses into fairies! Thanks for this tutorials. Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH MY! they look extremely adorable, I can not wait to have kids, someday! I love the color, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Events and dresses must be well suited for each other, hence the search for that one perfect dress should have the right time. They look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete