Sunday, January 22, 2012

Education

Many of you know that I have STRONGLY planned on homeschooling my children.  I've been researching curriculum for the past 10 years, mind you that Olivia is only 4 1/2.  I have been doing various activities with my girls for sometime to introduce them to wonderful world around us.

Olivia has been participating in a wonderful computer-based preschool called "Rusty & Rosy Learn with Me."  The best part is that we get to use it free since our state is participating in the program.  I am thoroughly impressed at the achievements that Olivia has made!  She is on level 2 of the program which is the beginning of 1st grade work.  She especially loves the science sections and will tell you all about the vertebrates around us.  Yes, she will use the word vertebrate!

Since we have many changes heading our way this summer, I've wondered if I should pursue my homeschooling plans.  After our trip I started to look into charter schools and found one that I really liked, but I still felt very uneasy about it.  After a trip to the temple I felt that I needed to put Olivia into a Spanish Immersion program.  I am happy about this for a few reasons.  First, if she succeeds she will be able to converse with her Abuelos.  Second, Spanish immersion is only part of the gifted program at this particular school district so they should give her a few more challenging things.  I do worry that she will be bored in school since she is already ahead.

After a parent meeting at the school district, Olivia is signed up to take the "gifted" test on Tuesday.  I am extremely nervous!  Not that she will do poorly but that I will be let down if she doesn't get into the program.  They said that they have some 300 children test for the 30 slots offered.  I won't find out until the end of April if she was accepted.  If not, hopefully one of the charter schools will pull through and if that doesn't work then I will homeschool her for Kindergarten.

In the meantime I will continue to work with Olivia and Lucy in hopes to provide them a great education.  To help me keep track of what we do, also to make it that I can search in the future of things we did, I plan on posting our progress here.  This is mostly for me, but who knows perhaps someone will find something inspiring.       

No comments:

Post a Comment