Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A finished room for my big girl!

I am so excited to finally say that my sweet Livy's bedroom is finished! At least until we get new carpet. It has been a slow process full of unfinished projects since December and I was determined to have it finished before I start on the new baby's room.

Livy's bedroom journey started out as yellowish green room with fish on the walls.


And soon turned into this......


Welcome to a room perfect for any little girl!



Fresh paint and bead board really make this room into a feminine space. The hanging butterflies above the bed are from her nursery in the old house. They give her room a little something whimsical.


Her dresser with the new inserts. (See below) I added some ribbon around the lamp and painted the once outdated frame.


This dresser was used when I did daycare to store diapers and such. In December we moved Livy to a toddler bed and no longer used her changing table/dresser. I pulled this one out for her use and hated how I could see the drawer organizers through the plastic fronts. (Only Ikea would think of doing that!) So I had the idea to put some bright scrapbook paper behind it. I love it!


Her custom butterfly pictures made by me before she was born. I changed out the cherry frames from white ones.



As inspired from this blog, I created a simple monogram for her wall. I decided to frame it so it can be used in a different room (far in the future when she moves to a room downstairs). This project was a HUGE learning process. I have taken very good mental notes on what to do differently if I do one for the new baby. I am happy to report this project cost me a total of $2.65. (.66 for poster board and 1.99 for the bright pink paint. Everything else I had on hand!)



A big project that Eduardo completed this weekend was a beautiful curio cabinet for Livy's pretty things. I was given this curio after we moved and simply didn't know what to do with it. It was oak, which is not me, and I truly didn't want it. Then I thought how special would it be for my little girl to have a place to keep her collectibles safe. Out with the stripper, and several coats of paint and polyurethane Livy now has a beautiful piece of furniture. (Book basket in the corner, which we rotate OFTEN. I am so grateful Livy loves books! And her precious baby.)


This was my bathroom mirror in the old house. A good coat of spray paint and it is perfect in here!



Finding good curtains was important to me. Not only do they soften the window but they truly finish a room. I love the pom-poms on the top.

Livy loves her new room. I can't explain how excited she was as we were hanging pictures and moving the furniture. I hope she will always love her room and that she will find it a place to play, explore, read, think and grow.

21 comments:

  1. Love it! Looks great and you were sooo creative and inventive! Good for you! Livy is lucky to have you as a mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute room! I just love those butterfly stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from Kimba's party! Beautiful room. :) I love the mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful...I love how the curio cabinet turned out...

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute! I love the monogram picture. It's now on my MUST-DO list! I'd love to know what your tips were for making that project easier. What a perfect room for a little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pink! But then again, I am partial to pink...it's my favorite color and my little girls room is all decked out in pink, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, makes me want another little girl! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything is so sweet. I love the butterfly stamp artwork the best. It was sweet in her nursery, but by changing up the frames, she will be able to enjoy that artwork for life. It really is classy and timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Stopping over from Kimba's. What a sweet little girl's room. Clever idea to use butterfly stamps for art work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miss Livy has such a beautiful room! I love the curtains and the curio cabinet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Her room is perfect. You did an amazing job. I am a big fan of Susie Harris too...she is inspiring. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It turned out so cute! You are so creative. Can't wait to come see it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful. I love the curio cabinet - what a lovely idea. But where do you keep all the toys? I need inspiration for sorting out my daughter's room which is overflowing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how pink-a-licious. Love what you have done. So many good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a cute room. My daughter hated pink and loved blue, so I didn't get to do the pink little girl room....she was such a spoil sport ;o)
    Blessings
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Nicol - what a lovely room! Thank you for sharing such great inspiration.

    Blessings,
    Marie
    http://emmacallsmemama.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks fantastic - you did such a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just gorgeous! care to decorate our rooms too??? ;)

    ReplyDelete